Monday, May 3, 2010

The Last of the Humanists

In the recent months I have started a harmless little joke that my eccentric personality has taken to a whole new level. I’ve always had a wild imagination. As a child I could daydream all day and continue to do so today – how do you think I make it through my German classes?

So, you ask, what is my latest and greatest shenanigan? Well, because of my Renaissance art history course, I am calling myself ‘The Last Humanist’. It has quite the ring to it, doesn’t it? Now, whenever the word humanist pops up in our lectures, my attention is suddenly caught and a smile graces my face from ear to ear (if I’m not already laughing). It’s weird, I know, but it’s all in the fun of art history.

It’s kind of my alter ego. You’re all probably rolling your eyes but I will take this till the day I die. What makes it so funny to me is the fact that I am not exactly the brightest bulb in certain situations (example). A humanist is a scholarly, philosophical thinker that was one of the greatest minds of the Renaissance. I am no such thing but it’s a harmless joke that my art history teacher smirks at every time she hears my ‘humanist theories’. Whatever you may call it – suck up or genius – I am taking it and running with it!

P.S. In the picture above by Mantegna, the humanists are the ones who are wearing red hats. I'm still looking for mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment