Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Quote of the Day

Tonight was the end of my watercolor class and we did a critique of everyone in the class's final work. Our final project was to study an influential watercolor artist and paint a piece inspired by that artist. Someone in the class did John Marin and pictured below are a few of his paintings. I think they are quite something. I love the colors and the looseness of the brushstrokes.


He continued to tell us about the history of John Marin's paintings:

"He was inspired by the Expressionists, the Impressionists, the Fauvists, and basically all the -ists."

I thought this was a funny way to describe the movements in the history of art and thought I'd share it with you. I wonder if any of my professors would want to start using that - 'ists'? Ha. Doubt it. I do see a lot of inspiration from Andre Derain and Monet. I think he has this one in the bag. By the way - his piece was amazing! To all of you out there who see watercolor as a decorative or "pretty" medium, please think again. I have learned to love it and watercolor can really be used in innovative and creative ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment